Social Icons

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Bob Your Hair and Rouge Your Knees

If I could travel back in time to any decade, it would be the twenties. I would go to a hair dresser right away and get the marcel wave. I have given up all hope in finding a local hair dresser that knows how to do vintage styles, because if there was such a thing you would not find me sporting the same hairstyle every single post! So I am going to wait for time travel to become possible - which is more likely to happen than finding a hair dresser that won't give me a blank look when I ask for a marcel wave. Something I truly do not enjoy is experimenting with my hair. I find it so tedious and frustrating that I give up immediately - which is what happened with this attempt at a 20s look!

The second thing I would do once I arrived back in the 1920s would be to go shopping and buy a lifetimes supply of outfits. When I first discovered blogs, I read blogs about silent era stars and twenties and thirties fashion exclusively. I knew however, that none of those looks were accessible as true vintage from that era is extremely frail, and not to mention expensive. And so ever since, I have waited for someone to come along and start making reproduction 20s styles. Unfortunately most of the time 20s looks are made deliberately costumey to cater to the oh so trendy "Gatsby wedding/party" theme but every now and then I do find pieces that aren't cliche.

This particular dress is actually by Hell Bunny - who have delighted me with releasing some great 20s and 30s dresses this year which are a stark contrast to their usual fifties dresses that I also love. That said, I would love, love for twenties looks to become more popular so that I could wear them more often! Things have been very quiet on the blog in the last two weeks because we moved house and it has taken a fair while to get the internet set up. In that time I have been busy setting up our home and I am excited to finally be able to take blog photos indoors! The room in these photos is my study and it is currently a little bare, but I am looking forward to decorating it with more art deco pieces to go with this beautiful art deco vanity and gramophone (that works)!

12 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous photographs, and you do ooze the twenties! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oo how exciting that HB have released some 20s and 30s styles, that does it a bit more for me these days than the classic '50s stuff. It's funny that a little bit '50s has become my 'everyday' so I like to explore other eras when I dress up! Not sure I could get into rougeing my knees though...

    You look beautiful in that dress, I hope you're fully recovered now from the post-wedding flu! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful! I loove your hair. 1920s is a great decade, just not easy to find repro clothes for that era. Now I definitely need to check out Hell Bunny's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waves are a nightmare to recreate! I'm usually great with hair but the marcel waves have beaten me. Beautiful look though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love 20's too. I would never say that this dress is Hell Bunny, looks totally vintage. Love this photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the 20s, also! It's really how I got into vintage in the first place, since I loved watching silent films and seeing the hair and costumes.
    Also, I can not believe that it's a Hell Bunny dress! I'm thrilled to see they're making 20s designs now; thanks for sharing that with us, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel exactly the same about doing any kind of curling or waving to my hair... horrible! I think your hair looks just lovely though! I've always avoided the 20s because I'm a bit top heavy and I didn't want to look like I'm wearing a tent. But perhaps that's silly! You certainly look fab here x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oohhh, it would be indescribably amazing to go back in time and stock up on one's most desired fashions. I literally daydream about doing just that sometimes.

    You look so swoon-worthily fantastic, dear Hallow, and take to 1920s styles like a duck to water.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore the twenties as well. You definitely look the part, especially with this hairstyle, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to go back to the 1920s era also! The music, fashion, theatre... everything looks so wonderful on photos. But I suck at twenties hair as well. Au contraire, you've done wonderful job, I really really like this hairstyle on you! And your dress i a cherry on top!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Harlow, this look is so perfect on you! I love the vampy lip and the marcel waves. I avoid the 20s like the plague just because there is no way that era will suit my figure, but boy, it looks stunning on you!

    I do have to mention your decor though ~ I think your vanity and gramophone are simply gorgeous! I hope we get to see this room again when you have add more of the art deco pieces to the styling, I'm sure it will look wonderful! ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun to hear that Hell Bunny has released some 20s and 30s inspired dresses! I didn't know! Love these photos. So different from your usual shots! <3

    ReplyDelete

Please no spam/"I'll follow you if you follow me"/"look at my blog" comments.