Social Icons

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Plaid & Platforms

Top & Skirt - Trashy Diva
Shoes - Novo
Sunglasses - Wildfox
Yesterday I felt like getting out of the suburbs and so we drove to the mountains. I brought my hiking boots with me thinking I would be really outdoorsy and go on a hike and get my exercise done for the day. but in the end it was just as hot and horrible as it is in town and I lost all interest in hiking. Instead we had coffee at a cute cafe with a gorgeous view, where I got to meet a St Bernard! This is something I had always wanted to do (I was a big fan of the Beethoven films growing up) and I was glad to finally find out that yes, yes they are as huge as I had imagined, and so lovable and sweet too.

With hiking no longer on the agenda I was happy to slip on these amazing 40s style platforms I got last week. I've never owned platforms before so I was surprised with how comfortable they are and easy to walk in - the added height is a bonus! Lately every time I go to post blog photos I've been thinking "no I can't blog this, I just blogged _____a few posts ago" and then I find myself not actually posting for a while. And then, eventually I realize how silly that is, because this is a style blog and everyone has their stuff that they like and that's just it - we all have certain things that we like and therefore gravitate to. I actually haven't counted how many two piece sets I have in my wardrobe but I do know that there's quite a few, which is just fine.

Believe it or not, I do actually experiment with different styles and different decades. However in doing so I've learned what works and what doesn't, which can be bitter sweet. I try not to think about it too negatively though, while I may not have the right shape to pull off a flapper dress or a 60s mod look, I know that I look good in a 50s halterneck or a 40s shirtwaist dress and that suits me just fine! To me, style is a matter of finding what you like that works for you, and there's nothing stopping you from appreciating something that doesn't work for you, on someone else. Which is exactly why I read blogs!


15 comments:

  1. St Bernards are one of my favourites! So cute - feel free to share every photo of every dog you ever meet as I will be more than happy to view them ;) I think style blogging is about whatever you want it to be - whether that's sharing a very particular style you're partial to or trying lots of different things. I know, for one, there's some clothes you will never see me in as I look too horrendous in them - anything with a dropped waist for example! However, I saw that pic of you in a 60s dress on Instagram and I don't agree you don't suit it! CC x

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello there,ciao ...so nice...plaid+platform is great on you...this look make shining your harisma...cheers!
    ciao from Italy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love St Bernards! They're so beautiful! (Although I do love all dogs in general). I love your outfit and your shoes, I love Novo because they have some very sneaky 'vintage inspired' shoes and the prices are never too crazy. I very rarely dress 60s inspired because I don't feel it suits me either, however when people say that I generally disagree with them....so maybe we just underestimate our own ability to pull off different styles. I love the 30s, 40s and 50s, although I would LOVE to be able to pull off flapper dresses without looking too frumpy. I think the 20s is just a really tough decade to pull off with our modern expectations and lack of period appropriate shape wear. I guess it really is just finding what works and going with that, or changing styles and eras to fit you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loveee St. Bernard dogs ^_^
    And you sure look lovely in that
    dress and platforms ;) Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photos! I adore your dress and awesome sunnies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love that Trashy Diva outfit, looks great on you! Wonderful photos once again! :)
    http://cherrymilla82.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to be able to pull off a 20s or 60s (mod) look, but dresses cut like that don't really suit me. I need to have a clear waistline in a dress! Otherwise I look fat or pregnant. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your good intentions with the hiking boots! But if it's hot then, meh, it's not that much fun. And your shoes are too fabulous not to have got them out, so I think you deserved a little sit and a drink in them!

    I know what you mean about appreciating other decades of inspiration on others, but I have found that by exploring, I've found a few decades that look better on me than expected. I'm going to try and embrace the '60s and '70s more this Spring and Summer. Oh, and the 1920s! I'm going to try them allll!! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. what lovely photos! a cafe with a st bernard would be the best thing, i always wanted my family to get us one when i was wee (and i still wouldn't mind getting one..)! oh, and i love your outfit:-) the colours of the top and skirt are gorgeous and i really like those buttons as well! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos! I love the peacock, and your dog is so sweet. I actually have the same set from Trashy Diva, and it's one of my favorite things to wear in the summer. Super cute and comfy, and those pockets are the best thing for walking around all day. I think you could probably fit a bottle of wine (or 4) in them with no problems!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your photos and love that Pontchartrain set on you. Those white flower buttons are my favorite! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. This two piece plaid outfit is PERFECTION! Your blog is absolutely chock-a-block full of gorgeousness! <3

    http://www.HankeringYankee.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, what a seriously precious pup!!! I always love meeting animals while on the go, too. I had a very special encounter with a shy little Boston Terrier while in Vancouver last year that I'll always treasure.

    You look marvelous, dear gal. So summery and sweet! You're making me year for the return for sunshine a million times more.

    Have a splendid weekend,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute two-piece! Trashy Diva dresses are gorgeous. Platforms are the best! They really are comfy - and now you have even more of an excuse to buy shoes! Oh no! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those shoes are perfect! I recently got some Jeffrey Campbell wedges that suit 40s style as well, and they're ridiculously comfy. And two piece set away, you look fantastic in them. Seeing what people really wear is part of the fun. And haha, I enjoyed your shoot run down too. Funny how its never as easy as 'just snap some photos'.

    ReplyDelete

Please no spam/"I'll follow you if you follow me"/"look at my blog" comments.